We don’t normally post infographics from third-parties, in part because many of them are lame or marketing-y. However, MusicMetric did a nice job with this one, which presents data analyzing every band at SXSW.
First, a few takeaways:
- SXSW artists received almost nine billion plays in 2013.
- The “fastest growing” artist in Austin this year is Laura Mvula.
- The vast majority of music fans and Bit Torrent sharers of SXSW Music bands live in the U.S., followed by Europe. Almost none of them are in Africa.
- Facebook owns everybody when it comes to social networks for SXSW bands. Surprisingly, number two is not Twitter, but Last.fm.
- SXSW is now officially mainstream. The most mentioned artists are people like Justin Timberlake.
- At SXSW 2012, the artists to receive the biggest bump in popularity were The Men, Mystikal, and Ceremony. However, bands who played there saw an average increase of 30 percent in their online fans. That could be the biggest stat out of all of these.
- Bands who play SXSW are generally well reviewed.
Here’s the whole thing (larger version):