We’re reporting live from Spotify’s media announcement today in Manhattan, where Spotify co-founder and CEO Daniel Ek revealed some interesting statistics on his way to announcing whatever he plans to announce today:
- Spotify users have created over 1 billion playlists on the service in the four years or so since it launched.
- There are over 4.7 million playlists called “Love” on Spotify. ”That’s a whole lot of love,” quoth Ek.
- Spotify has five million paying customers worldwide
- Spotify counts over 20 million people as regular users of the service.
- That’s a “conversion ratio” of 25 percent.
- In the past year, Spotify has doubled its playlists and paying customers.
- It has now paid out over $500 million to copyright holders (artists, labels, publishers, songwriters).
- Spotify now has over one million paying customers in the United States. “We believe this makes us the biggest subscription music here, but also the fastest-growing one,” said Ek. “We accomplished what it took others a decade to do.”
- People tend to listen to full albums on Spotify, which artists like.
- Spotify adds between 10,000 and 20,000 songs per day.
- “A third of all playlists on Spotify are just albums people have saved” (thus collections).
Photograph: Eliot Van Buskirk